- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler, stirring continuously as it begins to melt.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate mixture into each muffin liner. Holding the tray level (horizontally), tap the tray lightly on a table or counter to help spread the chocolate evenly. Place the muffin tray in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden the chocolate slightly.
- While the muffin tray is in the freezer, mix the peanut butter, pumpkin puree and salt in a bowl. Option to add the raw honey if you prefer it sweeter and pumpkin spice blend, to taste. If the mixture is quite soft, add coconut flour, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, to firm the mixture slightly so that it can be more easily shaped and layered in the cup. (Tip: let mixture sit in the freezer for 5 minutes to firm up and allow the coconut flour to absorb the excess moisture.)
- Remove the muffin tin from the freezer. Measuring 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter/pumpkin mixture for each cup, quickly roll mixture into a ball and flatten it between your palms just slightly so that when you place it on the chocolate base, it doesn’t touch the sides of the muffin liner. (Tip: this will allow the top layer of chocolate to pour over the filling and surround the sides of the cups!)
- If the melted chocolate has firmed up, return it to the double boiler until it is once again a pourable consistency. Pour 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate into each muffin cup over the peanut butter/pumpkin mixture. Once all the cups are filled, holding the tray level (horizontally), tap the tray lightly on a table or counter to smoothen out the tops and help the chocolate settle.
- If sprinkling the tops of the peanut butter cups with flaked sea salt, place the tray back in the freezer for 3 minutes, remove and sprinkle each cup with a small pinch of the salt. (Tip: If you sprinkle the salt on top while the chocolate is still warm, the salt will melt and sink.) Return the tray to the freezer until the chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes
- If you’re not sprinkling with salt, skip the previous step and place the tray in the freezer until the chocolate hardens, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer pumpkin peanut butter cups to an airtight container and store in the fridge.