- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease an 8” x 8” baking pan with coconut oil and line with two pieces of parchment — one in each direction — so that the bottom and all 4 sides of the pan and lined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax egg ingredients, whisk and set aside to thicken and gel.
- In a medium bowl, combine all “dry” ingredients and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In a large bowl, combine all “wet” ingredients except the dark chocolate and flax egg. Using a hand blender or stand mixer, beat until well combined, 30-60 seconds.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler (or a stainless steel bowl placed over a pot of simmering water), stirring continuously.*
- Add melted chocolate and flax egg to the wet mixture and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and cool on the rack completely before topping with glaze and/or cutting.
- To make the glaze, melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler (or a stainless steel bowl placed over a pot of simmering water), stirring continuously.* Pour the glaze on the brownies, spread it with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon and top with the chopped nuts and flaked salt. Let the glaze dry, cut into squares and enjoy!
*Although we’re not fans of microwave use, in a pinch, you can also place the chopped chocolate (and coconut oil for the glaze) in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 10 second bursts about 3 times, stirring well in between, until the chocolate is completely melted.