If you were wondering what kind of wonderful would result if the amazing Stephanie Bosco (aka The Superfood Goddess) and our very own founder Chef Ruthy met minds (and blenders) in the kitchen and discussed all things superfoods — wonder no longer. On the second episode of our "Kitchen Improv" Instagram Live series, these two superfood queens created smoothie magic. Going into the recipe creation process with no recipe — and in fact, no planning or advance discussions (other than to agree on a long list of fruit, veggies, adaptogenic powders and other ingredients that were fair game) — they created this anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, digestion-supporting smoothie featuring JOYÀ Restore Functional Superblend.
Be warned: this uber-delicious smoothie with a tropical twist will *transport* you to a very beautiful place.
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger root (peeling optional)
- 1 large celery stalk (or 2 small)
- ½ large banana (or 1 small)
- ⅓ cup mango (about ¼ large mango)
- ⅓ cup avocado (about ¼ large avocado)
- 1-2 pitted dates (to your preferred level of sweetness)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp JOYÀ Restore Functional Superblend (or 2-inch knob of fresh turmeric root)
- optional if not using JOYÀ Restore Superblend: ¼ tsp ashwagandha extract powder, pinch cinnamon
- crushed ice
- water or milk of choice
- optional toppings/mix-ins: hemp seeds, cacao nibs, bee pollen*
*Note: omit bee pollen to keep the recipe vegan.
- Add all ingredients (except toppings/mix-ins) to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and no chunks remain.
- Pour into glass(es), optionally add toppings/mix-ins and enjoy!
Recipe by Stephanie Bosco (The Superfood Goddess) and JOYÀ
Ruth Elnekave is a Toronto-based chef, holistic nutritionist, culinary instructor, recovering corporate lawyer and founder of JOYÀ. Her projects are fuelled by one main goal: to spread the pure joy experienced when sharing and savouring delicious, real food. For more, visit Joya.ca.