It’s easy to love these brownies, and it’s not just because they’re free of refined sugars and refined flours. The splash of rosewater gives them a delicate and exotic flavour. It may seem like this recipe has arrived just in time for spring, but interestingly, rosewater used to be a baking staple before it was outshone by vanilla in the 1800s. This pan of brownies takes us back to our baking roots, and is a perfect balance of dark chocolate and fudgy almond butter with soft floral notes. Garnish with a sprinkling of dried rose petals for a healthy baked treat that’s perfect for spring.
- 7 oz (200 g) JOYÀ's Chocolate
- 3 tbsp (70 g) almond butter
- 5 large or 6 small Medjool dates
- 3 eggs
- 5 tbsp (75 g) coconut flour
- 4 tbsp (80 g) dairy or plant-based yogurt
- 3 tbsp rosewater
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- 100 g JOYÀ's Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp (24 g) coconut oil
- Dried rose petals, for garnish
* To keep the recipe paleo, make sure the chocolate doesn’t contain cane sugar or other non-paleo ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a blender, blitz the dates, yogurt and eggs to create a homogenous paste.
- Melt the dark chocolate by placing it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler. Add the melted chocolate to the paste in the blender and blend it all together.
- Add the almond butter, baking soda and vinegar to the paste and blend it all together. Next, add the coconut flour and rosewater and blend the batter until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, using a spatula to scrape all the batter out of the blender. Smooth out the top of the batter. Slide the pan into the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out moist but clean, about 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- For the optional chocolate glaze, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil by placing them in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler. Pour the glaze on the brownies and spread it with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Garnish with dried rose petals. Let the glaze set, cut into squares and enjoy!