Some would say that this brownie is unlike your average brownie. It’s light and fluffy, yet rich and flavorful. Composed of pumpkin puree, cacao powder, nut butter and an egg, this brownie recipe doesn’t require any flour whatsoever to achieve its high level of chocolatey greatness.
Pumpkin brings a whole other dimension to a brownie recipe, making these chocolatey squares rich in fibre, high in antioxidants and packed with immune boosting vitamins. And our Calm Functional Superblend brings a deep rich cocoa element to the party, along with its adaptogenic mix of stress supporting, calming and mood boosting herbs and mushrooms with even more antioxidant power.
As if that wasn't enough, if you want to take these bites of heaven to the next level of good-for-you decadence, melt a couple of our Functional chocolate bars and smother them on top for the most luscious icing (and yet more antioxidant power). We bet you can't eat just one.
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ½ cup nut butter of choice (we love cashew, hazelnut and almond)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (if not using chocolate chunks, add an additional 2 tbsp honey/maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup JOYÀ Calm Functional Superblend
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 60 g (2 bars) JOYÀ Functional Chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line an 8” x 8” baking pan with parchment paper in both directions so that all surfaces of the pan are lined, leaving an overhang on all sides for easy removal.
- Add all ingredients except the chopped chocolate (if using) to the bowl of a food processor and blend until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. If using the chocolate, stir half into the batter and sprinkle the remainder on top. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with only moist crumb.
Chocolate alternative: melt the chocolate, and pour over baked and cooled brownies as a glaze.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for 5 days.
Pro tip: to slice the brownies into clean squares, run your knife under hot water and wipe dry in between each slice.