With Valentine's Day around the corner, we've got chocolate and decadent desserts on the brain. Who doesn't? That's why we teamed up with our dearest friend Elise Museles to talk chocolate, mood and favorite desserts and whip up delicous, super simple (3 step!) and super decadent Chocolate Mousse, with a JOYÀfied spin of course! Check out the step by step Instagram Live here.
While chocolate mousse is traditionally made with cream and egg whites, this recipe calls for avocado to deliver its signature creamy and light texture. Swapping out traditional cacao powder for our Calm Functional Superblend packs an already delicious dessert with adaptogenic, calming and stress-supporting goodness, and each serving delivers your full daily dose of Elixir Blend. Talk about a dessert filled with love!
Make it your own: Our team calls this a "choose your own adventure" dessert, because with the addition of just 1-2 ingredients, you can put a new spin on the classic recipe (and any chocolate lover will know that chocolate goes well with basically anything and everything!). For inspiration, we've included some of our favorite flavor combinations below, and we highly encourage you to give your own flavor concoctions a try!
Chocolate Mousse Base
- 200 g avocado flesh (from about 2 small ripe avocados, pitted and peeled)
- ¼ cup JOYÀ Calm Functional Superblend
- Pinch fine sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Optional toppings: coconut whipped cream, toasted nuts, pomegranate seeds, raspberries, toasted coconut, raw cacao nibs, candied ginger
Suggested Flavor Combinations
- Orange & Chocolate: Elise Museles' Original Recipe inspo here
- Chili & Chocolate: Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Lavender & Chocolate: infuse milk with lavender buds, strain and use in mousse base
- Peppermint & Chocolate: Add a few drops of peppermint extract
- Coffee & Chocolate: Sub part of the coconut milk with espresso or concentrated coffee
- Hazelnut & Chocolate: Add a few drops of hazelnut extract and top with chopped hazelnuts
- Rose & Chocolate: Add 1-2 tsp rosewater to mousse and top with dried rose petals
- Coconut & Chocolate: Top mousse with extra coconut flakes and/or coconut whipped cream
- Earl Grey & Chocolate: infuse milk with earl gray tea, strain and use in mousse base
- Add the avocado flesh, Calm Superblend and sea salt to a food processor (our preferred method) or blender and blend. With the food processor/blender running, slowly pour in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and continue to blend until smooth, scraping the edges of the food processor/blender as needed with a spatula.
- Ice bath: Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and place a smaller bowl over the ice. Transfer the mousse mixture into the small bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed, beat in the coconut milk. Once the milk is incorporated, continue mixing on medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pipe or scoop mousse into 4 small jars. Place in refrigerator until set (at least 2 hours).
- Garnish with toppings of your choice and enjoy!