Versatile, delicious, nutritious, super-simple and a fun canvas for your food artistry (go crazy with those toppings!) — just some of the many reasons that chia pudding is one of our favorite breakfasts and snacks. This easy and decadent treat is the best way we know to pack in chia's many superfood benefits: fiber, plant-based protein, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and a slew of minerals. Blended up with our JOYÀ Focus Functional Superblend and all of its brain-loving, stress-supporting, antioxidant and energizing power — and with only a few quick steps the night before — there's no better way to set yourself up for a very, very good day.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (white or black)
- ¾ cup milk of choice (we love coconut or oat)
- optional: ⅛ tsp vanilla bean or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp JOYÀ Focus Functional Superblend
- 1 tsp - 1 tbsp sweetener of choice, to taste (e.g. honey, maple syrup, date syrup, coconut sugar)
- optional topping ideas: granola, bee pollen, toasted coconut flakes, berries or other fruit, cacao nibs, coconut whipped cream, nut butter, toasted nuts or seeds
- The night before you want to enjoy: combine chia seeds, milk, vanilla and Focus Superblend in a jar or bowl and whisk together. Add honey or other sweetener to taste. Let mixture sit for a few minutes and whisk again to remove clumps. Repeat the sitting and whisking one more time. Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- When ready to eat: remove chia pudding from the fridge, give it a stir and check the texture. Since the chia seeds absorb all of the liquid, if the pudding is too thick, add a little more milk until you get the perfect texture.
- To serve: top the chia pudding with any toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Make ahead: pudding can be stored covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Ruth Elnekave is a Toronto-based chef, holistic nutritionist, culinary instructor, recovering corporate lawyer and founder of JOYÀ. Her projects are fuelled by one main goal: to spread the pure joy experienced when sharing and savouring delicious, real food. For more, visit Joya.ca.